Our Discipline Policy
The aim of school discipline is to create a safe and happy learning environment
for the children while they are at school, teaching children appropriate
behaviour and helping them become independent and responsible people.
Every student has the right to be safe in school, be treated with compassion, and the right to hear and be heard. Therefore, any action by any student or adult that infringes upon the above rights will result in serious consequences. .
In order to maintain an environment conducive to attaining the highest quality of education, the following are policies and procedures relating to student conduct which delineate unacceptable behavior and provide the basis for sound disciplinary practices.
Don Bosco School, Kokar will enforce these policies and procedures fairly, uniformly, and consistently.
The purpose of this document is to outline the policy and necessary procedures to safeguard the right of each child to a secure environment, provide for a just approach in promoting proper student conduct, and deter unacceptable behaviour.
While there are clear consequences, for not following the rules, appreciation for following the rules, is also more important. Hence, along with the negative remarks pages, a page for positive feedback will be incorporated in the School Diary. Teachers throughout the year will put in positive remarks for students that show respect and regard for rules or even improvement in any aspect of their behaviour.
Rules of Discipline
- School hours are from 7.35 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. Students must arrive at the school at 7.15 a.m.
- The school begins with Prayer (Assembly) and all are expected to be present for the same.
- Late comers and absentees must have their regularity record duly signed.
- All pupils must be habitually clean and always neatly dressed. They are expected to come with proper haircuts and keep their hair neatly combed. They must come neatly trimmed / shaved to school. In the rare case where facial hair cannot be shaved for some serious reasons, the student must receive permission from the Principal. On class days and for school functions students are expected to wear the school uniform prescribed for the season. Wearing low waist trousers, short skirts and use of hair gel/colours are forbidden.
- Habitual late coming or coming to school with improper/ incomplete uniform may call for disciplinary action inclusive of being sent back home. On such occasions the parents are requested to come and take the student home. The school declines all responsibility for their safe return if parents request the school to send them home on their own.
- Every student must have a copy of the School Diary and it must be brought to school on class days.
- Once in the school, no student will be allowed to leave the campus without the authorization of the Principal or his nominee. A written request from the parents is required to take a child out of the campus. No one other than the parents or persons duly authorized by them may take the child out of the school.
- Unauthorized absence from class or school and reaching late for class are not allowed. Students are expected to be attentive in class and do their classwork and homework regularly. Sleeping in the class will not be allowed.
- The vacations may not be anticipated or extended without prior permission. Non-attendance on the first day of class after any vacation is considered a serious breach of discipline. Absence without permission will not be allowed except for reasons like sudden illness or grave unforeseen circumstances. ‘Time for study’, ‘urgent business’, ‘religious ceremonies’, ‘non availability of return ticket’, ‘late return from holiday’ etc. are not valid or sufficient reasons for absence from the school. The reason for absence must be briefly entered in the School Diary and signed by parents, and / or given in a letter addressed to the Principal.
- The students should take care to keep their classrooms and premises clean.
- Students are expected to speak English in the School Campus.
- Students are responsible for the safe custody of their own books and belongings. Each book should be neatly covered and marked with the student’s Name and Class.
- The students are not permitted to bring valuable and fancy goods like expensive watches, ornaments, cameras, mobile phones and large sum of money etc. to the school. No objectionable audio, video or printed material may be brought to school or exchanged in the school. If these things are confiscated, they will not be returned. The school is not responsible for articles lost.
- Students are expected to respect school property. Any kind of scribbling on the walls, damaging the property of the school and misappropriation of things belonging to others are considered serious faults. Any school property damaged even by accident should be reported at once to the school authorities. Besides paying compensation, one may be suspended or dismissed from school.
- The students at all times should address the staff and others in a respectful manner and their behaviour inside and outside the school should be befitting.
- The students shall not create any indiscipline in the school and shall comply with all the rules and regulations of the school.
- Ragging, bullying and use of foul language are punishable offences.
- No student shall indulge in any of the following practices, namely: a) Smoking. b) Use of drugs or intoxicants c) Rowdyism and rude behaviour. d) Use of violence in any form.
- Students should not join other students in violent, destructive activities. They should not indulge in any misbehaviour or instigate other students in any form of anti-school activity which will bring disrepute to the school.
- Students will not boycott the orders, directions and instructions given to them by the school authorities.
- Every precaution is taken to avoid accidents. Yet if accidents occur First Aid will be administered, and the parents will be informed. Hospital expenses are to be met by the parents.
- A student who uses unfair means and/or receives or gives assistance in any form during tests or examinations or tampers with the evaluated answer scripts in any way or alters the marks in the Report Card or answer scripts, will be given Zero in that subject, and /or may be suspended from school. Repetition of the same will result in the dismissal of the student.
- The school reserves to itself the right to suspend or dismiss pupils who are indisciplined, whose diligence or progress in study is steadily unsatisfactory or whose conduct is harmful to others, or whose guardians show no interest in the progress of their wards. No attendance would be given to a student during the period of suspension.
Don Bosco School, Kokar - Ranchi